Dr. Luciana Rodriguez Guerineau received her medical degree from University of Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2007. She moved to Spain to complete her residency in Paediatrics at Sant Joan de Deu Hospital in Barcelona and worked as junior staff for an additional two years. She pursued further training and completed two fellowships at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London, U.K., in Paediatric Critical Care and Cardiac Critical Care Medicine.
Upon completion of her Barcelona appointment in 2017, she moved to Toronto where she completed a Paediatric Critical Care Fellowship followed by a Cardiac Critical Care Fellowship at The Hospital for Sick Children.
In November 2019 she was appointed to full-time staff physician in the Cardiac Division of Critical Care Medicine and has an appointment as Assistant Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto.
Rodriguez Guerineau's research interests include respiratory physiology and cardiopulmonary interactions. Her long-term goal is to undertake a research program for cardiopulmonary interactions in patients with congenital heart diseases. She is also interested in mechanical ventilation and lung health in critically ill children with congenital heart diseases. One of her research projects looks at chest wall role at the time of chest closure following cardiopulmonary bypass surgery for congenital heart disease.
Employment and experience
- 2019–present: Staff Physician, Cardiac Critical Care Unit, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON.
- 2018–2020: Education Scholars Program. Centre for Faculty Development, University of Toronto. Toronto, ON.
- 2017–2018: Fellowship in Paediatric Intensive Care and Cardiac Paediatric Intensive Care, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON.
- 2016–2017: Staff Physician, Paediatric Critical Care Unit, Sant Joan de Deu Hospital, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2014–2016: Fellowship in Paediatric Intensive Care and Cardiac Paediatric Intensive Care. Great Ormond Street Hospital, London, U.K.
- 2012–2014: Paediatric Intensive Care training and junior staff physician. Sant Joan de Déu Hospital, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2008–2012: Paediatric Residency. Sant Joan de Déu Hospital, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2000–2007: Medical Doctor, MD. School of Medicine, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- 2019–2020: Interdepartmental Division of Critical Care Medicine, Arts Slutsky Day: Sick Kids Site Teaching Award Winner.
- 2019: Postgraduate Medical Trainee Leadership Award, Paediatric Critical Care, Clinical Fellow. University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada.
- Rodriguez-Guerineau L, Perez-Cruz M, Gomez Roig MD, Cambra FJ, Carretero J, Prada F, Gómez O, Crispi F, Bartrons J. Cardiovascular adaptation to extrauterine life after intrauterine growth restriction. Cardiology of the Young. 2018; 28 (2):284-291.
- Alsina Casanova M, Monteagudo-Sánchez A, Rodriguez Guerineau L, Court F, Gazquez Serrano I, Martorell L, Rovira Zurriaga C, Moore GE, Ishida M, Castañon M, Moliner Calderon E, Monk D, Moreno Hernando J. Maternal mutations of FOXF1 cause alveolar capillary dysplasia despite not being imprinted. Human Mutation. 2017; 38(6):615-620.
- Rodriguez Guerineau L, Posfay-Barbe K, Monsonis Cabedo M, Juncosa Morros T, Diana A, Wyler Lazarevic C, Martinez de Tejada B, Chappuis F, Fumadó Pérez V, Jackson Y. Paediatric Chagas disease in Europe: a series of 45 cases from Spain and Switzerland. Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal. 2014; 33(5):458-462.
- Rodriguez-Guerineau L, Salvia-Roigés MD, León-Lozano M, Rodríguez-Miguélez JM, Figueras-Aloy J. Combination of vancomycin and rifampicin for the treatment of persistent coagulase-negative staphylococcal bacteremia in preterm neonates. European Journal of Pediatrics. 2013; 172(5):693-697.