At SickKids, we believe that a positive patient and family experience happens through good communication, mutual respect, and true partnership between patients, families, and staff. We care about your experience and want to hear from you.
The Office of Patient and Family Experience provides a safe space where you can provide feedback – including sharing concerns, comments, suggestions, or compliments – about your care experience.
Expand the sections below to learn more about the Office of Patient and Family Experience. As a patient or family member you have the right to respect, communication and partnership. Learn more about the rights and responsibilities for patients and families at SickKids.
- Provide a safe, supportive environment where you can share your comments, suggestions, and concerns.
- Listen to and support you through your experience.
- Help you get the information you need.
- Respond to your concern and offer assistance to resolve issues or problems.
- Investigate any concerns related to discrimination and racism in the delivery of care to you or your child.
- Assist everyone to communicate effectively with each other – patients, families, and staff.
- Ensure your feedback is shared with your health-care teams.
- When you have a compliment for staff.
- When you want to share your ideas or suggestions.
- When you want to know more about your rights.
- When you need help communicating with your health-care team.
- When you would like further follow-up or did not feel satisfied after expressing a concern to your health-care team.
- When you have concerns or grievances about services or interactions with staff.
- When you would like to talk about your experience privately.
We are committed to working with you in a consistent, fair, and timely way to enhance your experience. When you contact us, we will follow these steps:
Step 1: We receive your message and acknowledge receipt within three business days.
Step 2: We listen to you to understand your feedback and discuss next steps, which could include sharing your feedback or launching a review.
Step 3: We begin the review by communicating with the appropriate staff and reviewing records to better understand what occurred.
Step 4: We identify the issues and work with you and/or those involved in your experience to identify the best solution.
If you feel that your concerns have not been properly addressed or you are unsatisfied with your outcome, you can ask to speak to the Senior Manager and/or the Director in the Office of Patient and Family Experience.
Have feedback? We're here to listen.
If you have a question, comment, concern or compliment, please let us know. We ask you to share these with you care team or unit manager; however, if this is not possible, please contact the Office of Patient and Family Experience and we will help support you in your journey at SickKids.
Call us at 416-813-6181.
Find us in-person through the Family Centre on the main hospital floor of the Black Wing, room M223. We may not be in the office because we are with another family; in this case please let one of the Family Centre staff know to have us contact you, or contact us using another method listed.
Hours: Monday to Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Go to Map & Directions for more.
Contact the Office of Patient and Family Experience
Complete the Patient Feedback Form
You can contact the Office of Patient and Family Experience by completing the Patient Feedback Form.
Patient and Family Experience Intake Coordinator
Karen Sappleton (she/her), MSED, MSW, RSW
Senior Manager, Child and Family-Centred Care & Health Equity:
Office of Patient and Family Experience, The Family Centre, Interpreter Services
Phone: 416-813-7654 ext. 428375
The Office of Patient and Family Experience
555 University Avenue
Room M223, Main Floor, Black Wing (in the Family Centre)