Senior Associate Scientist, Translational Medicine
Dr. Narang completed medical school and paediatric respirology training in the U.K. Subsequently, she undertook training in sleep medicine at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, USA. She was Director of Sleep Medicine in the Division of Respiratory Medicine at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) from 2007 to 2021. In the leadership role, Dr. Narang led the development of Canada’s largest paediatric respiratory related sleep clinical, academic and educational program at SickKids.
Currently, Dr. Narang is the paediatric lead and an executive member of Canada’s largest sleep research network, Canadian Sleep and Circadian Network.
Dr. Narang’s research goal is to reduce morbidity in both healthy children and children with underlying medical complexity who have sleep disorders. Currently Dr. Narang’s research program focusses on the personalized approach for the management of obstructive sleep apnea. She is currently evaluating heated high flow nasal cannula (HFNC) therapy as a novel therapy for the management of persistent OSA in children. Her research program is funded by CIHR, Heart and Stroke Foundation and the Ontario Lung Association.
Education and experience
- 2002–2006: Doctorate, Doctor of Medicine (MD), (Research), University of London
- 1991–1993: Bachelor of Medical Science (BMed Sci), Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, University Hospital of Wales
- 1987–1993: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBCH), University Hospital of Wales
- 2017: Female Professional of the Year Award, Indo-Canada Chamber of Commerce, Canada.
- 2016: Paediatric lead and executive member, Canadian Sleep and Circadian Network.
- Parmar A, Yeh EA, Korczak D, Weiss SK, Lu Z, Zweerink A, Toulany A, Murray BJ, Narang I. Depressive Symptoms, Sleep Patterns and Physical Activity in Adolescents with Narcolepsy. SLEEP. 2019 May 9. pii: zsz111. doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz111. [Epub ahead of print]
- Doyle LW, Bush A, Cheong JLY, Evensen KAI, Gough A, Halvorsen T, Hovi P, Kajantie E, Lee K, McGarvey L, Narang I, Näsänen-Gilmore P, Steinshamn S, Vollsaeter M, Vrijlandt EJLE. Expiratory airflow in late adolescence/early adulthood in survivors born very preterm or very low birthweight compared with controls – an individual participant data meta-analysis. Lancet Respir Med. 2019 Aug;7(8):677-686. doi: 10.1016/S2213-2600(18)30530-7. [Epub 2019 May 8]
- Hui W, Slorach C, Guerra V, Parekh RS, Hamilton J, Messiha S, Tse E, Mertens L, Narang I. Effect of Obstructive Sleep Apnea on Cardiovascular Function in Obese Youth. Am J Cardiol. 2018 Oct 18. pii: S0002-9149(18)31963-5. doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2018.09.038. [Epub ahead of print]
- Alebraheem Z, Christian J, Toulany A, Baker A, Narang I. Facilitators and Barriers to Positive Airway Pressure Adherence for Adolescents: A Qualitative Study. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018 Jan;15(1):83-88. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201706-472OC.
- Selvadurai S, Maynes J, McDonnell C, Cushing S, Propst E, Lorenzo A, Lim A, Meltzer L, Lu Z, Horner R, Narang I. Evaluating the Effects of General Anesthesia on Sleep in Children Undergoing Elective Surgery. Sleep. 2018 Aug 1;41(8). doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsy094.