Dr. Rose Geist is a Child Psychiatrist with a special interest in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry in youth and their families. Her clinical focus is in medically unexplained symptoms and co-occurring medical and mental health concerns. She was the inaugural Director of the Medical Psychiatry Program, Department of Child Psychiatry, University of Toronto, as well as the Director of the Collaborative Care Program in the Medical Psychiatry Alliance (Partnership with The Hospital for Sick Children, Trillium Health Partners, Centre for Addiction and Mental Health and the University of Toronto). At the present time, Dr Geist's main interest is in providing psychiatric consultation for the patients of her medical and surgical colleagues in the hospital and community.
Research interests include: patients’ and clinicians’ perspectives regarding medically unexplained symptoms; the integration of medical and mental health clinical care in paediatrics and capacity to consent to treatment for youth.
Education and experience
- BSC, MD, FRCP Diploma in Child Psychiatry, MMus (Masters in Music Education), University of Toronto
- 2000–2008: Medical Director, Medical Psychiatry Program, Division of Child Psychiatry, University of Toronto
- 2008–2016: Program Chief and Medical Director of the Mental Health Program, Trillium Health Partners, University of Toronto
- 2014–2020: Director of Collaborative Care, The Medical Psychiatry Alliance, University of Toronto
- 2008: Psychiatrist Member of the Consent Capacity Board
- 2016: Designated Alumnus of Influence, University College, University of Toronto
- Geist R, Versloot J, Mansfield E, DiEmanuele M, Reid RJ. The Collaborative Care Model for Patients with both Mental Health and Medical Conditions Implemented in Hospital Outpatient Care Settings. J Ambul Care Manage. 2020 Jul/Sep;43(3):230-236.
- Campo JV, Geist R, Kolko DJ. Integration of Pediatric Behavioural Health Services in Primary Care. Improving Access and Outcomes with Collaborative Care. Can J Psychiatry. 2018 Jul;63(7):432-438.
- Geist R. The Capacity to Consent to Treatment in Youth, A Retrospective Lens. Health Law in Canada 2015 (3) 79-84