Neurosciences & Mental Health
Affiliate Clinical Investigator
Child & Family Research Institute (CFRI)
Dr. Chau is a paediatric neurologist at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). He is the Director of the Neonatal Neurology Fellowship Program at SickKids. After graduating from medical school at Laval University (Quebec City), he moved to Montreal to do his residency in paediatric Neurology (University of Montreal). He did a 3-year fellowship in Neonatal Neurology in Vancouver (University of British Columbia). Dr. Chau joined SickKids in 2013.
Dr. Chau is an academic clinician. His research focuses mainly on the study of brain injury and brain maturation using MR techniques and neuromonitoring tools. He also has a strong interest in infantile epileptic encephalopathy and fetal neurology. Dr. Chau is looking at ways to improve long-term outcomes by modifying common risk factors.
- 1995–2000: Doctorate in Medicine, Laval University, Quebec
- 2001: Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada
- 2000/072006/06: Residency in Pediatric Neurology, University of Montreal, Quebec
- 2006–Present: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC), Specialist Certificate in Neurology
- 2006–Present: Collège des Médecins du Québec, Certificate of Registration for Independent Practice
- 2009–Present: British Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, Certificate of Registration for Independent Practice
- 2013–Present: College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, Certificate of Registration for Independent Practice
- 2015–Present: Canadian Society of Clinical, Neurophysiology (CSCN), Certificate of clinical electroencephalography interpretation
- 2009–2013: Staff Pediatric Neurologist, BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, British Columbia
- 2009–2013: Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics University of British Columbia, Vancouver, British Columbia
- 2011–2013: Acting Program Director, Pediatric Neurology, BC Children’s Hospital & University of British Columbia
- 2013–2020: Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Toronto, Ontario
- 2013–Present: Staff Neurologist, Division of Neurology, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario
- 2013–Present: Consultant Physician, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto, Ontario
- 2016–2016: Acting Program Director, Neonatal Neurology Fellowship, The Hospital for Sick Children & University of Toronto
- 2020: Junior Faculty Award for Clinical Excellence, Department of Pediatrics, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2020: Colin Woolf Award for Excellence in Program Development & Coordination, Recipient: Annual Paediatric Update Planning Committee
(chair Dr. Mark Feldman)
- 2018: CANMeds Award, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2018: William Hawke Teaching Award, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2017: CANMeds Award, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2015: William Hawke Teaching Award, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2013: Research Mentorship Award, University of British Columbia
- 2012: Research Mentorship Award, University of British Columbia
- 2009: Best Fellow, Laura MacRae Trust Fund Award
- Guillot M, Chau V, Lemyre B, Canadian Pediatric Society, Fetus and Newborn Committee. Imaging the preterm neonatal brain. Pediatric Child Health 2020 Jun; 25(4):249-262.
- Lemyre B, Chau V. Hypothermia for newborns with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy. Pediatric Child Health 2018 Jul; 23(4): 285-291.
- Sanatani S, Chau V, Fournier A, Dixon A, Blondin R, Sheldon RS. Canadian Cardiovascular Society and Canadian Pediatric Cardiology Association Position Statement on the Approach to Syncope in the Pediatric Patient. The Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2017 Feb; 33(2): 189-198.
- Chao Bk, Claessens NHP, Lim JM, Gorodetsky C, Au-Young SH, Guerguerian AM, Marini D, Blaser S, Shroff M, Saini AK, Seed M, Chau V¶, Miller SP¶. Decreased brain volumes and infants with congenital heart disease undergoing venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 2020; In press. ¶Contributed equally.
- *Bierstone D, Wagenaar N, Gano D, Guo T, Georgio G, Groenendaal F, de Vries L, Varghese J, Glass HC, Chung C, Terry J, Ruth RE, Synnes A, Barkovich AJ, Ferriero DM, Benders M, Chau V¶, Miller SP¶. Association of histologic chorioamnionitis with perinatal brain injury and early childhood neurodevelopmental outcomes among preterm neonates. Journal of the American Medical Association Pediatrics 2018 Jun; 172(6): 534-541.
SickKids Neonatal Neuroscience lab
The Neonatal Neuroscience team at SickKids aims to improve the assessment and treatment of critically ill newborns, giving them the best chance at a healthy life.
Division of Neurology
Our Division strives for optimal outcomes for children with neurological conditions.