Dr. Priscilla Chiu received her MD at Queen’s University. During her surgical training in the Gallie Program at the University of Toronto, Dr. Chiu completed research training in the Surgeon-Scientist Program and the Royal College Clinician Investigator Programs, completing her PhD in Immunology in the laboratory of Dr. Jayne Danska. Dr. Chiu completed her paediatric critical care and paediatric surgery training at the University of Toronto and The Hospital for Sick Children before joining the Division of General and Thoracic Surgery.
Dr. Chiu’s research focuses on human T lymphocyte developmental biology, T cell malignancies, and gut associated immunity. Her recent publications include both basic science and clinical research topics. Dr. Chiu is also active in the prenatal and surgical management of congenital chest and airway conditions.
She is active in the international Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia (CDH) Study Group and the Canadian CDH Consortium that published the recommendations for CDH care. Her focus on the multi-disciplinary care of complex patients with foregut anomalies includes her role as surgical director of the SickKids Aerodigestive Clinic that provides long-term and transitional care for these patients.
Education and experience
- 1985–1987: BSc, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Science, University of Toronto, Canada
- 1987–1991: MD program, Faculty of Medicine, Queen’s University
- 1991–1992: Surgical Internship, The Toronto Hopsital
- 1992–2002: Gallie Program in General Surgery, University of Toronto
- 1994–2002: PhD program, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto
- 2002–2003: Clinical residency, Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2003–2005: Pediatric Surgery Residency, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2015–2019: Program Chair, Canadian Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- The Canadian CDH Collaborative. The Canadian Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia Collaborative Evidence and Consensus-Based National Clinical Management Guideline. CMAJ 2018 Jan 29;190:E103-12
- Chamoto K, Imataki O, Guo T, Tanaka M, Nakatsugawa M, Ochi T, Yamashita Y, Elia AJ, Siato AM, Saito TI, Chiu PPL, Butler MO, Hirano N. Key residues at third CDR3β position impact structure and antigen recognition of human invariant natural killer T cell receptors. J Immunol. 2017 Feb 21;198(3):1056-65.
- Zhao JY, Chiu PP, Dasgupta R, Jen HC, Rothstein DH. Defining the need for transitional care from pediatric to adult surgery for young adult patients with surgically corrected congenital anomalies. JAMA Surg. 2016 Apr 1;151(4):393-4.
- Chiu PP. New Insights into congenital diaphragmatic hernia - a surgeon’s introduction to CDH animal models. Front Pediatr. 2014 Jan 1;2:36.
- Chiu PP, Jiang H, Dick JE. Leukemia-initiating cells in human T-lymphoblastic leukemia exhibit glucocorticoid resistance. Blood. 2010 Dec 9;116(24):5268-79.