Title: Staff Orthodontist, Division of Orthodontics, Department of Dentistry
Designations: B.Sc., DDS, M.Sc., FRCD(C)
U of T Positions: Associate Professor, Faculty of Dentistry
Dr. Austin Chen is a Staff Orthodontist at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), Associate Professor at the University of Toronto, Exam Coordinator for the Royal College of Dentists of Canada and is in private practice in Vaughan, Ontario. Dr. Chen is a member of the Canadian Association of Orthodontists, the American Association of Orthodontists, Omicron Kappa Upsilon Honours Dental Society, and the American Cleft Palate – Craniofacial Association.
Dr. Chen is also proud to be a founding member of Discovr Dental Study Group and is a medical advisor to Transforming Faces Worldwide.
Education and experience
- 2007–2008: Craniofacial Fellowship, Department of Orthodontics, Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2004–2007: M.Sc. in Orthodontics, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2002–2003: General Practice Residency, School of Dental Medicine, Harvard University, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- 1998–2002: Doctor of Dental Surgery Degree with Honours, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 1993–1998: Specialization B.Sc. in Biochemistry with Distinction, Faculty of Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Manfilo, A., Chen, A., Orthodontic Interventions In Cleft Lip And Palate Individuals: An Overview Of Treatment Protocol. Oral Health, 2019 Sept: 41-53
- Rosenberg, H., Chen, A., Abbaszadeh, S. Palatally Displaced Canines: Is There a Way to Prevent Impaction of These Teeth? Oral Health, 2015 Sept: 42-49
- Cassolato, S., Chen, A., Czvartsaid, D., Sanders, M. Is Periodontal Disease a Risk Factor for Preterm Low Birth Weight Infants? Dispatch, Spring 2006: Practice Enhancement and Knowledge Series.
- Chen, A., Wai, Y., Lee, L., Lake, S., and Woo, S. Using the modified Schirmer test to measure mouth dryness: a preliminary study. Journal of American Dental Association 2005 Feb;136(2):164-70; quiz 229-30
- Ko, K., Aurora, P., Bhide, V., Chen, A. and McCulloch, C. Cell-cell adhesion in human fibroblasts requires calcium signaling. Journal of Cell Science. 2001 Mar; 114(6): 1155-67