SickKids Award for Indigenous Nursing Students
As part of our commitment to Indigenous Health Equity, SickKids is offering an award for Indigenous nursing students who are interested in becoming a paediatric acute care nurse at SickKids upon graduation. This award is a competitive opportunity given to up to two students in their final year of undergraduate academic study during the 2022/2023 academic year.
This award includes:
A $5,000 bursary* to go toward their tuition. To receive the bursary, recipients are required to complete a clinical placement at SickKids.
*This year's bursary is generously supported through the Grace Simpson Evelyn Reeves Endowment Fund. Recipients will be required to provide their Social Insurance Number (SIN) for SickKids to issue a T4A for these funds.
The recipient will complete an in-person clinical placement at SickKids during their final year of studies. Placements will take place in the Fall 2022 or Winter or Spring 2023 term. Recipients of this award will be required to immediately inform their academic institution of their intention to apply for a placement at SickKids and seek approval. Upon successful completion of the final year placement, students are strongly encouraged to apply for a position at SickKids.
The application window for the 2022/2023 Award for Indigenous Nursing Students is now closed. This award will be available for the 2023/2024 academic year. More information will be posted in March 2023.
SickKids is committed to being a place where everyone is acknowledged, valued and respected. SickKids acknowledges the historical context of Indigenous peoples in Canada and is dedicated to reconciliation and partnering with Indigenous communities. We are committed to identifying, prioritizing and implementing initiatives that help support accessible and culturally safe and appropriate clinical care for Indigenous children and their families. In alignment with the SickKids 2025 Strategic Plan, the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Strategy, as well as the Indigenous Health Strategy, this award is one approach we are taking to champion Indigenous Health Equity.
To be considered for this award, an applicant must:
- Self-identify as an Indigenous person,
- Be an undergraduate student in a recognized nursing baccalaureate program in Ontario
- Be currently registered as a student entering their final year
- Intend to register with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) as a Registered Nurse upon graduation
- Demonstrate the following:
- An interest in beginning a career in paediatric nursing at SickKids
- Good academic standing
- Be willing to commit to completing a placement at SickKids
Note: Recipients must maintain enrolment throughout the academic year and immediately following acceptance of this award.
Documents to include in your application
A completed application will include all the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
- Completed and signed application form
- Letter of Intent (maximum 800 words) outlining:
- The candidate's career goals
- Interest in paediatric acute care nursing at SickKids
- Demonstration of child and family-centred care and strengths-based nursing
- The meaning of one or more of the following terms to the candidate: justice, equity, diversity, inclusion, belonging, and sovereignty
- Demonstration of perseverance and determination
- Resumé/CV; including previous placements, volunteer experience, highlighting any paediatric experience or working with children
- Official transcripts from the last year of studies
- Screenshots of academic history will not be accepted
- One letter of reference addressing the applicant’s potential to contribute to the nursing profession from an academic supervisor/advisor or a community leader (one-page maximum); the letter must clearly state the referee’s name and contact information.
Submitting your application
Completed applications, supporting letters, and transcripts must be sent as one package to Laila Strazds at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be rated by a panel using this scoring card (PDF). If applicants have questions or concerns, please email Laila Strazds.
Tips for submitting a strong application
Strengthen your application by reviewing the Nursing Student Awards Application Tip Sheet (PDF).