SickKids Award for Black Nursing Students
As part of our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, SickKids is offering an award for Black nursing students who are interested in becoming a paediatric acute care nurse at SickKids upon graduation. This award is a competitive opportunity awarded to up to two students in their final year of undergraduate academic study during the 2023–2024 academic year.
This award includes:
A $5,000 bursary* to go toward their tuition. To receive the bursary, recipients are required to complete a clinical placement at SickKids.
*This year's bursary is generously supported through the Grace Simpson Evelyn Reeves Endowment Fund. Recipients will be required to provide their Social Insurance Number (SIN) for SickKids to issue a T4A for these funds.
The recipient will complete an in-person clinical placement at SickKids during their final year of studies. Placements will take place in the Fall 2023, Winter 2024, or Spring 2024 term. Recipients of this award will be required to immediately inform their academic institution of their intention to apply for a placement at SickKids and seek approval. Upon successful completion of the final year placement, students are strongly encouraged to apply for a position at SickKids.
The application window for the 2023–2024 Award for Black Nursing Students is from March 13 to May 4, 2023. Due to the competitive nature of this award, late applications will not be accepted.
SickKids is committed to being a place where everyone is acknowledged, valued and respected. SickKids acknowledges the impact that personal, structural and societal barriers have on Black individuals and is implementing strategies to address anti-Black racism. We are committed to identifying, prioritizing and implementing initiatives that help support accessible and culturally safe and appropriate clinical care for Black children and their families. In alignment with the SickKids 2025 Strategic Plan as well as the Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) Strategy, this award is one approach we are taking to champion equity, diversity and inclusion at SickKids.
Past recipients of this award have been highlighted in SickKids news and Ryerson’s The Eyeopener.
To be considered for this award, an applicant must:
- Self-identify as a Black person
- Be an undergraduate student in a recognized nursing baccalaureate program in Ontario
- Be currently registered as a student entering their final year
- Intend to register with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO) as a Registered Nurse upon graduation
- Demonstrate the following:
- An interest in beginning a career in paediatric nursing at SickKids
- Good academic standing
- Be willing to commit to completing a placement at SickKids
Note: Recipients must maintain enrolment throughout the academic year and immediately following acceptance of this award.
Documents to include in your application
A completed application will include all the following items (no other supporting documentation will be accepted):
- Completed and signed application form
- Letter of Intent (maximum 800 words) outlining:
- The candidate's career goals
- Interest in paediatric acute care nursing at SickKids
- Demonstration of child and family-centred care and strengths-based nursing
- The meaning of one or more of the following terms to the candidate: justice, equity, diversity, inclusion and belonging.
- Demonstration of perseverance and determination
- Resumé/CV; including previous placements, volunteer experience, highlighting any paediatric experience or working with children
- Official transcripts from the last year of studies
- Screenshots of academic history will not be accepted
- One letter of reference addressing the applicant’s potential to contribute to the nursing profession from an academic supervisor/advisor or a community leader (one-page maximum); the letter must clearly state the referee’s name and contact information.
Submitting your application
Completed applications, supporting letters, and transcripts must be sent as one package to Saima Navsariwala at email@example.com.
All applications will be rated by a panel using this scoring card (PDF). If applicants have questions or concerns, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips for submitting a strong application
Strengthen your application by reviewing the Nursing Student Awards Application Tip Sheet (PDF).