Bacterial meningitis PCR
Multiplex PCR bacterial meningitis, partially treated meningitis, Neisseria meningitidis, Streptococcus pneumoniae, Streptococcus agalactiae (Group B Streptococcus), Haemophilus influenzae, Listeria monocytogenes,
- minimum 300 ul of CSF. Please ensure adequate sample volume is submitted.
- send in sterile screw top tube/container.
- All specimens must be shipped on dry ice
- Exception: Specimens that will arrive at SickKids within 24 hours from the time of collection can be shipped on ice packs
Laboratory Requirements for Testing:
- CSF pleocytosis (>=50 x 10^6/L WBC)
- CSF bacterial culture negative at 48 hours
- Neisseria meningitidis,
- Streptococcus pneumoniae,
- Streptococcus agalactiae (Group B Streptococcus),
- Haemophilus influenzae,
- Listeria monocytogenes.
Please note that this assay does not test for Escherichia coli (E. coli), an important cause of bacterial meningitis in the neonatal population.
- Culture negative, partially treated bacterial meningitis
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212