Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Stanley Zlotkin received his medical training at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, paediatric training at McGill University in Montreal, and obtained a PhD in Nutritional Sciences at the University of Toronto. He has worked as a clinician-nutritionist and research scientist at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) since 1980. He is a Professor in the Department of Paediatrics, the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, the Department of Nutritional Sciences and the Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy at the University of Toronto. He is past Head of the Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition and Medical Director of Nutrition Support for SickKids. Currently, he is the Inaugural Chief of the Centre for Global Child Health at SickKids.
Dr. Zlotkin has focused on research and advocacy to control micronutrient malnutrition in children. It is estimated that as many as 750 million children in developing countries suffer from micronutrient malnutrition. Challenged by UNICEF to come up with a viable and reproducible solution to the problem of micronutrient malnutrition, Dr. Zlotkin and his research team developed the concept of micronutrient powders for “home-fortification” of complementary foods. With support from USAID, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) and private foundations, he has completed multi-country research to prove the benefits of home-fortification to control micronutrient deficiencies. Home fortification now reaches over 15 million children every year in more than 50 countries. His current research focuses on delivery science to enhance the implementation of public health programs and products.
- 1967–1971: B.Sc. (Hon.), University of Toronto
- 1971–1974: MD, Faculty of Medicine, McMaster University
- 1978: FRCP(C), Royal College of Physicians, Paediatrics
- 1981: PhD, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
- 1980–Present: Senior Scientist, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 1985–Present: Full Member, School of Graduate Studies, University of Toronto
- 1993–Present: Professor of Paediatrics and of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto
- 1998–2003: Medical Director, Nutrition Support, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 1998–2008: Division Head, GI/Hepatology/Nutrition, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2005–Present: Professor (Cross-Appointment), Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Epidemiology Division, University of Toronto
- 2008–Present: Staff, Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2010–2012: Vice-President, Medical and Academic Affairs, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2012–Present: Chief, Global Child Health, The Hospital for Sick Children
- 2019–Present: Professor (Cross-Appointment), Munk School of Global Affairs and Public Policy, University of Toronto
- 2019 and 2014: Mining4Life Chair in Mineral Nutrition
- 2018: Honorary Doctorate – Simon Fraser University
- 2016: Order of Ontario – Province of Ontario
- 2014: Career Achievement in Evidence Translation – The Mathile Institute
- 2009: Samuel J. Fomon Nutrition Award - American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)
- 2007: Order of Canada – Government of Canada
- 2007: International Ashoka Fellowship
- 2006: CIHR National Knowledge Translation Award
- 2001: HJ Heinz Humanitarian Award
- Zlotkin SH, Newton S, Aimone AM, Azindow I, Amenga-Etego S, Tchum K, Mahama E, Thorpe KE, Owusu-Agyei S. Effect of iron fortification on malaria incidence in infants and young children in Ghana: A randomized trial. JAMA 2014; 310(9):938-947.
- Shafique S, Sellen DW, Lou W, Jalal CS, Jolly SP and Zlotkin SH. Mineral- and vitamin-enriched micronutrient powder reduces stunting in full-term, low birth- weight infants receiving nutrition, health and hygiene education: a factorial 2 x 2 factorial, cluster-randomized trial in Bangladesh. Am J Clin Nutr 2016; 103:1357-69.
- McLean J, Northrup-Lyons M, Reid RJ, Smith L, Ho K, Mucumbiytsi A, Kayumba A, McDonald C Schauer C, Zlotkin SH. From evidence to national scale: An implementation framework for micronutrient powders in Rwanda. Maternal and Child Nutr 2018; Nov 13:e12752.doi: 10.1111/mcn.12752.
- Roth DE, Morris SK, Zlotkin S, et al. Vitamin D supplementation in pregnancy and lactation and infant growth. New Eng J Med 2018; 379:6.
- Robson J, Bao J, Wang A, McAlister H, Uwizihiwe J-P, Sayinzoga F, Sibomana H, Koswin K, Wong J, Zlotkin SH (2020). Making Sense of Rwanda’s Remarkable Vaccine Coverage Success. International Journal of Healthcare, vol 6 https://doi.org/10.5430/ijh.v6n1p56.
See a full list of Stanley Zlotkin's publications.
- 2020–2027: SickKids Foundation and Clinton Foundation, Paediatric Centre for Excellence – Barbados, $7,000,000
- 2014–2021: Global Affairs Canada and SickKids Foundation, Scaling Up Paediatric Nursing in Ghana, $13,000,000