Title: Senior Scientist, Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Designations: MD, FRCP(C), FAAP, ABPEM
U of T Positions: Professor, Department of Paediatrics
Division of Paediatric Emergency Medicine
Dr. Schuh is an internationally recognized investigator in optimizing management of acute respiratory illnesses in children, such as acute asthma, bronchiolitis, and croup.
Her national and international research aims to generate new evidence for the best treatment of refractory severe acute asthma and for minimizing unnecessary use of technology and non-beneficial interventions in bronchiolitis. She has mentored numerous academic emergency department fellows in clinical research who now serve in various academic posts around the world.
- 1998: Recertification, American Board of Emergency Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics, Paediatric Emergency Medicine Sub-board Examination
- 1992: Certification, American Board of Emergency Medicine, American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Medicine Sub-board Examination
- 1981: FRCP(C), University of Toronto, Paediatrics, Toronto, ON
- 1981: FAAP, American Board of Pediatrics
- 1977: MD (Honours), University of Toronto Toronto, ON
- 1973: B.Sc., University of Toronto, Prince Philip Silver Medal in Science, Toronto, ON
- 2019–Present: Senior Scientist, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2005–2019: Senior Associate Scientist, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2004–2014: Chair, Emergency Department Research Council, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2000–2014: Emergency Research Director, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 1998–2005: Associate Scientist, Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 1992–2000: Paediatric Emergency Fellowship Director, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 1985–Present: Full-time Staff Emergency Department, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- Freedman S B, Williamson-Urquhart S, Farion K J, Gouin S, Willan A R, Poonai N, Hurley K, Sherman P M, Finkelstein Y, Lee B, Pang X L, Chui L, Schnadower D, Xie J, Gorelick M, Schuh S, for the Pediatric Emergency Research Canada (PERC) Gastroenteritis Study Group. Probiotic Regimen for Outpatient Gastroenteritis – Utility of Treatment (PROGUT) Study: A Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. New England Journal of Medicine 2018 Nov 22nd 379 (21): 2015-2026 SRI, R.
- Schuh S, Kwong J, Holder L, Graves E, Macdonald E M, Finkelstein Y. Predictors of Critical Care and Mortality in Bronchiolitis after Emergency Department Discharge. J Pediatrics Aug 2018, Vol 199 Page 217-222 PI, R
- Freedman SB, Willan AR, Boutis K, Schuh S. Effect of Dilute Apple Juice and Preferred Fluids vs Electrolyte Maintenance Solution on Treatment Failure Among Children With Mild Gastroenteritis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2016; 315(18)1966-74. SRI, R
- Principi T*, Coates AL, Parkin PC; Stephens D, DaSilva Z, Schuh S. Effect of Oxygen Desaturations on Subsequent Medical Visits in Infants Discharged From the Emergency Department with Bronchiolitis. JAMA Paediatrics. 2016; 170(6):602-8. doi:10.1001/jamapediatrics 2016.0114. SRI, R
- Schuh S, Freedman S, Coates A, Allen U, Parkin P, Stephens D, Ungar W, DaSilva Z, Willan A. Effect of oximetry on hospitalization in bronchiolitis - A randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2014; 312(7): 712-8. PI, R