Division of Cardiac Critical Care Medicine
Senior Associate Scientist
Dr. Schwartz is a Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto and The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) in Toronto, Canada. He received his medical degree from Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan and went on to complete internship and residency in paediatrics at St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children (Temple University) in Philadelphia, fellowship in paediatric cardiology at C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital (The University of Michigan) in Ann Arbor, Michigan and fellowship in paediatric critical care medicine at Children’s Hospital (Harvard University) in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Schwartz was appointed to the faculty of the University of Cincinnati School of Medicine and Cincinnati Children’s Hospital in 1996 in the Divisions of Cardiology and Molecular Cardiovascular Biology and served as Co-Director of Cardiac Intensive Care for almost 10 years. He joined the medical staff at SickKids in January 2006 as Head of the Division of Cardiac Critical Care Medicine and in March 2020 was also appointed as Interim Chief of the Department of Critical Care Medicine.
Dr. Schwartz’s academic interests include single ventricle physiology and outcomes, the metabolic effects of cardiopulmonary bypass on infants and children, quality and performance in pediatric cardiac critical care, the use of clinical informatics and monitoring tools to predict adverse clinical situations and international program development.
Education and experience
- 1980–1984: BA, Political Science, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- 1984–1988: MD, Wayne State University, Detroit, United States
- 1988 June 20 – 1991 June 30: Paediatric Residency, Pediatrics, St. Christopher’s Hospital for Children, Temple University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- 1991 July 1 – 1994 June 30: Fellowship, Paediatric Cardiology, Paediatrics, C. S. Mott Children’s Hospital, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
- 1993–1995: M.Sc., Biostatistics and Clinical Research Design, School of Public Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States
- 1994 July 1 - 1996 June 30: Fellowship, Paediatric Critical Care Medicine, Anaesthesia/Critical Care, Children’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- 1996 July - 2006 May: Co-Director, Cardiac Intensive Care Unit, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
- 2006–Present: Head, Division of Cardiac Critical Care Medicine, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2020 March – Present: Interim Chief, Department of Critical Care Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- 2009–Present: Elected to Board of Directors, Pediatric Cardiac Intensive Care Society (PCICS)
- 2011–2019: Elected to Executive Committee of the Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care Consortium (PC4)
- 2015: Invited member Integrated Data Network for Congenital Heart Disease Working Group (NHLBI)
- 2009: Invited member Peri-operative studies working group of the Pediatric Heart Network, NIH/HNLBI
See a full list of Steven Schwartz's publications
- 2017–2023: Co-Principal Investigator. Paediatric Heart Network - The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto. NIH NHLBI. PI: McCrindle, BW; Schwartz, SM; Mital, S. 1UG1HL135680-01.
- 2015–2021: Co-Investigator. Cardiovascular Physiology and Brain Development in Newborns with Congenital Heart Disease. Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Principal Investigator(s): Miller, Steven P; Seed, Mike Co-Investigators: Blaser, SI; Brant, RF; Chau, V; Hickey, EJ; Kingdom, JC; Ly, LG; MacGowan, CK; Schwartz, SM; Sled, JG.
Department of Critical Care Medicine
We manage critical illness through all modes of mechanical ventilation, mechanical support of the circulation and support of organ systems.
One of the top three heart centres in the world, innovating cardiac clinical care, research and education.