Project Investigator, Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Dr. Spiegel has been a staff rheumatologist since 1998 and is an Associate Professor at the University of Toronto. Her major clinical and research interests have been in the following areas; TMJ arthritis, transition to adult care, and general JIA management.
Dr. Spiegel has been instrumental in developing an interdisciplinary team at SickKids to treat JIA patients with TMJ arthritis and is part of an international research consortium to raise awareness and optimize the diagnosis and treatment of this condition. She has co-developed tools and programs to help paediatric rheumatology patients successfully transition to adult care; has developed a transition program for the division of Rheumatology at SickKids; and has helped to develop a transition program at Women’s College Hospital for young adults with JIA. Dr. Spiegel is a collaborator on multiple clinical trials looking at predictors of disease severity, prognosis, outcomes, and the safety and effectiveness of new therapies for the treatment of JIA.
Education and experience
- 1998: FRCPC, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario
- 1997: Diploma in Paediatric Rheumatology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 1991–Present: General Medical License, College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
- 1990–1992: Paediatric License, Washington, DC
- 1991: Diploma in Adolescent Medicine, George Washington University, Washington, DC
- 1983–1987: MDCM, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- 1978–1981: Honours BA, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
- 1988–1990: Paediatric Residency George Washington University, Washington, DC
- 1987–1988: Paediatric Internship Calgary, Alberta