Anna is a CAGC-certified genetic counsellor who completed her M.Sc. in Genetic Counselling at the Université de Montréal in 2010. She joined SickKids in 2015 as the DNA Resource Centre coordinator and genetic counsellor in the Genome Diagnostics Lab. Anna currently provides genetic counselling in the hypotonia clinic in the Division of Clinical and Metabolic Genetics and The Centre for Genetic Medicine where she also collaborates on research activities. She is a Lecturer in the University of Toronto M.Sc. Program in Genetic Counselling and is a member of the Genomic Research Genetic Counsellors. Her areas of specialty and research interests include neurogenetics, genetic analysis, and translational genomics.
Rapid advances in genomic technologies (e.g. exome and genome sequencing) and the resulting increased understanding of how genes impact health have made genetics key to precision medicine. However, these advancements have also led to increasingly complex questions, confronting our community to new challenges and forcing us to reconsider the existing ethical, scientific, and clinical paradigms.
Anna’s research focuses on the evaluation of genomic technologies and its current and potential applications in a various clinical settings, as well as their impact on patients, families, and the health care system
- 2003–2008: B.Sc. with Honours in Biopharmaceutical Sciences, Genomics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
- 2008–2010: M.Sc. Genetic counselling, Université de Montréal, Montreal, QC
- 2010–2013: Project coordinator, Centre of Excellence in Neuromics of the Université de Montréal, Centre de Recherche du CHUM (CRCHUM), Montreal, QC
- 2010–2015: Genetic counsellor, Medical Genetics clinic, Centre Hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal (CHUM), Montreal, QC
- 2013–2015: Project coordinator, Montreal Neurological Institute, McGill University Health Centre (MUHC), Montreal, QC
- 2015–2019: Genetic counsellor and laboratory coordinator, Genome Diagnostics Laboratory, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto ON
- 2015–2019: Coordinator, DNA Resource Centre, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2015–Present: Genetic counsellor, Division of Clinical and Metabolic Genetics, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2018–Present: Lecturer and clinical supervisor, Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, Toronto ON
- 2019–Present: Research genetic counsellor, Centre for Genetic Medicine, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON