Dr. Amer Shammas has been Interim Head of the Division of Nuclear Medicine since July 2013. Dr. Shammas received his medical degree from Damascus University, Faculty of Medicine in Syria in 1996. Then, he started his Diagnostic Radiology residency program in Syria and completed his Nuclear Medicine residency program at Loyola University Medical Center in Illinois, U.S. in 2004. Subsequently, Dr. Shammas completed a PET fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center in Pennsylvania, USA in 2005. Recently, he completed his fellowship in Pediatric Nuclear Medicine in the Department of Diagnostic Imaging at SickKids. He is a member of Radiological Society of North America, Canadian Society of Nuclear Medicine, and Society of Nuclear Medicine. Dr. Shammas’ main research interests are molecular imaging and PET.
Education and experience
- 1990–1996: MD, Damascus University, Faculty of Medicine Damascus, Syria
- 2007–2008: Paediatric Fellow, Diagnostic Imaging, The Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Canada
- 2004–2005: PET Fellow, Nuclear Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, PA, U.S.
- 2002–2004: Resident, Nuclear Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center,Maywood, IL, U.S.
- 2001–2002: Intern, Internal Medicine, Loyola University Medical Center, Maywood, IL, U.S.
- 1998–2000: Resident, Radiology, Teshreen Hospital, Damascus, Syria
Hospital and Academic Appointments
- 2015–Present: Divisional Head of Nuclear Medicine, Department of Medical Imaging University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2014–Present: Program Director, Nuclear Medicine Residency Program University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
- 2013–Present Interim Head of the Division of Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Imaging Department, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2008–Present: Assistant Professor, Medical Imaging Department, Division of Nuclear Medicine The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, ON
- 2008–Present: Project Investigator in the Research Institute, The Hospital for Sick Children Toronto, ON
- 2012–2013: Associate Staff Radiologist, Joint Department of Medical Imaging (JDMI), Nuclear Medicine Division
- 2005–2006: Associate Consultant in Nuclear Medicine, King Fahad National Guard Hospital, Riyadh, KSA
- 1997–1998: General Practice, Hammoudah’s Surgical Hospital, Damascus, Syria