Child Health Evaluative Sciences
Dr. Peter Gill is a Clinician-Investigator in the Division of Paediatric Medicine at The Hospital for Sick Children and an Assistant Professor of Paediatrics at the University of Toronto. Dr. Gill holds a MD from the University of Alberta (2006-2014), and a DPhil in Primary Health Care, and M.Sc. in Evidence-Based Health Care from the University of Oxford, where he studied as a Rhodes Scholar (2009-2013). Gill completed his residency training in paediatrics at SickKids from 2014 to 2018.
Gill’s primary areas of clinical practice are paediatric inpatient care and outpatient consultant general paediatrics. His research focuses on improving the care and outcomes for hospitalized children in general paediatric settings. He conducts outcomes-based research focused on paediatric inpatient care using a range of research methodologies, including systematic reviews, administrative database analyses, observational studies, and pragmatic clinical trials.
Gill is a member of the CIHR Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health Advisory Board, and the BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine Editorial Board. He is an Honorary Fellow of the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (CEBM) and Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences at the University of Oxford. Dr. Gill also co-founded the open-source paediatric medical education website PedsCases, which has over 3.5 million podcast downloads.
Gill’s research program focuses on improving the evidence-base for children hospitalized in general paediatric settings, particularly for conditions which have important long-term impacts and that cumulatively lead to a significant burden on the health-care system.
His overarching methodological expertise is in clinical epidemiology and qualitative research, where he focuses on conducting outcome-based research. Gill also co-founded the Canadian Paediatric Inpatient Research Network (PIRN), a hospital-based network to which aims to conduct multi-centre studies to answer clinically important questions to improve the outcomes for hospitalized children.
Education and experience
- 2006–2014: Doctor of Medicine (MD), MD/PhD Program, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- 2009–2013: Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil), Primary Health Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 2011–2013: Master of Science (MSc), Evidence-Based Health Care, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 2018: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians of Canada (FRCPC)
- 2012: CIHR Doctoral Foreign Study Award
- 2014: CIHR Institute of Health Services and Policy Research (IHSPR) Rising Star Award
- 2014: Canadian Medical Association (CMA) Award for Young Leaders
- 2015: Paediatric Research Award for Core Paediatrics
- 2016: Pat Martens Memorial Student Prize at CAHSPR Conference
- 2016: 28th Annual National Paediatric Resident and Fellow Research Competition
- 2017, 2018: Christopher Ondaatje Award for Clinical Teaching (PGY-3, PGY-4)
- 2022–2025: Principal Investigator. Renal ultrasound after first febrile urinary tract infection in hospitalized children: reducing overdiagnosis and cascade effects. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Project Grant. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Mahant S. Co-Investigators: Barrowman N, Bayliss A, Borkhoff C, Born K, Constantin E, Dos Santos J, Drouin O, Faingold R, Foulds J, Giglia L, Holland J, Jetty R, Kang K, Li P, Lorenzo A, Macarthur C, Moretti M, Ostrow O, Parkin P, Sakran M, Sehgal A, Shaikh N, ‘t Jong G, Taheri S, Vomiero G, Zappitelli M, Zhou K. $527,851 CAD.
- 2022–2023: Nominated Principal Investigator. A data-driven approach to identify high priority research topics for pediatric hospital care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Project Grant. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Li P, Mahant S, To T. Co-Applicants: Baerg K, Bayliss A, Benkelfat R, Borkhoff C, Buba M, Carwana M, Chen W, Cohen E, Cohn R, Constantin E, Drouin O, Forbes K, Holland J, Langrish K, Macarthur C, Moretti M, Parkin P, Rahme E, Sakran M, Sehgal A, ‘t Jong G, Taheri S, Wahi G, Zemek R. Collaborators: Buchanan F, Dorais M, Green M, Hall M, Kanani R, Piedbouf B, Proulx MC, Strumpf E, Vomiero G. $100,000 CAD
- 2022–2023: Nominated Principal Investigator. Parenteral veRsus Enteral Fluids for infants hospitalized with bRonchiolitis: the PREFER shared decision making study. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Project Grant. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Buchanan F, Mahant S. Co-Investigators: Bailey M, Barrowman N, Bayliss A, Borkhoff C, Buba M, Carwana M, Chen B, Constantin E, Daignault P, DeCastris-Garcia K, Drouin O, Fahim C, Forbes K, Hulst J, Klassen T, Li P, Macarthur C, Parkin P, Sakran M, Schuh S, Sozer A, Strauss S, ‘t Jong G, Wahi G, Zhou K. Collaborators: Breen-Reid K, Elwyn G, Lacaze-Masmonteil T. $100,000 CAD
- 2022–2024: Co-Investigator. Diagnostic testing for children in primary care. National Institute for Health Research, School for Primary Care. (NIHR SPCR). Principal Investigator: Thomas E. Co-Investigators: Heneghan C, Perera-Salazar R, Gill P, Boylan AM, Bankhead C, Hayward G. £23,085.
- 2022–2023: Co-Investigator. A planning grant to explore partnerships and opportunities for Indigenous children and families in the Pediatric Inpatient Research Network. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Planning and Dissemination Grant. Principal Investigators Li P, Wahi G. Co-Investigators: Baerg K, Baydala L, Carwana M, Chen B, Constantin E, Drouin O, Gill P, Forbes K, Foulds J, Holland J, Latimer M, Mahant S, Ogilvie J, Poenaru D, Sehgal A, Wissanji H. Principal Knowledge User: Berry M. $24,000 CAD
- 2022–2023: Principal Investigator. COVID-19 seroepidemiology in children Using Retrieved POPCORN site Leftover Samples (CURNLS). Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Operating Grant: POPCoRN Supplement. Nominated Principal Investigator: Quach-Thanh C. Principal Investigators: Galanis E, Strang R, Basta N, Bhatt M, Buchanan F, Constantin E, Cote S, Drouin O, Dugas MA, Fontela P, Foo C, Foster J, Freedman SB, Gagneur AA, Gant S, Gill PJ, Kakkar F, Kellner JD, Klassen T, Lacaze-Masmonteil T, Lalgudi Ganesan S, Li P, Mahant S, Mater A, Muttalib F, Papenburg J, Sadarangani M, Sehgal A, t'Jong G, Wahi G, Wright B. Co-investigators: Harrison R, Allen U, Banerjee A, Bettinger J, Campigotto A, Costello C, Dryden-Palmer K, Fortier I, Gingras A, Knisley L, Langlois M, McNally J, Murthy S, Portales-Casmar E, Robinson J, Salvadori M, Science M, Sotindjo T, Stoesz T, Suleman S, Szatmari P, Tam J, Wong S, Zinszer K. $2,999,580 CAD
- 2022–2025: Principal Investigator. Renal ultrasound after first febrile UTI in hospitalized children: reducing overdiagnosis and cascade effects. Physician Services Incorporated (PSI) Foundation. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Mahant S. Co-Investigators: Parkin P, Barrowman N, Moretti M, Zappitelli M, Faingold R, Lorenzo A, Dos Santos J, Rickard M, Shaikh N, Born K, Friedman J, Ostrow O, Bayliss A, Sakran M, Zhou K, Pearl R, Giglia L, Pound C, Jetty R, Sehgal A, Taheri S. $250,000 CAD.
- 2022–2024: Principal Investigator Pediatric Outcomes imProvement through COordination of Research Networks (POPCORN). Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Canadian Pediatric COVID-19 Research Platform. Nominated Principal Investigator: Quach-Thanh C. Principal Investigators: Galanis E, Strang R, Basta N, Bhatt M, Buchanan F, Burstein BS, Carwana M, Choong K, Constantin E, Cote S, Drouin O, Dugas MA, Fontela P, Foo C, Foster J, Freedman SB, Gagneur AA, Ganesan SL, Gantt S, Gill P, Kakkar F, Kellner JD, Klassen T, Lacaze-Masmonteil T, Lalgudi Ganesan S, Li P, Mahant S, Mater A, Morris S, Muttalib F, Papenburg J, Sadarangani M, Sehgal A, t'Jong G, Top KA, Wahi G, Wright B. Co-investigators: Harrison R, Ali S, Allen U, Baerg K, Banerjee A, Barton M, Beer D, Berthelot S, Bettinger J, Buba M, Burton C, Chanchlani R, Constantinescu C, Costello C, Dewan T, Di Genova T, Doan QH, Dryden-Palmer K, Du Pont-Thibodeau G, Emeriaud G, Emsley J, Ferro M, Forbes K, Fortier I, Foulds J, Freire G, Gravel J, Hancock B, Holland J, Joffe A, Kam A, Knisley L, Lee L, Leifso K, Marc I, McNally J, Meckler G, Mtaweh H, Murthy S, Nicoll J, Orr-Gaucher N, Pagano J, Pernica J, Poonai N, Porter R, Purewal R, Robinson J, Roumeliotis N, Salvadori M, Sotindjo T, Stoesz T, Suleman S, Szatmari P, Tam J, Wadhwa A, Wong S, Yeung R, Zinszer K, $6,700,000 CAD
- 2022–2023: Nominated Principal Investigator. A data-driven approach to identify high priority research topics for pediatric hospital care. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Project Grant, “Patient-Oriented Research Early-Career Investigator Priority Area.”Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Li P, Mahant S, To T. Co-Applicants: ‘t Jong G, Baerg K, Bayliss A, Carwana M, Chen W, Cohen E, Cohn R, Constantin E, Drouin O, Forbes K, Holland J, Langrish K, Macarthur C, Moretti M, Newhook L, Parkin P, Pound C, Rahme E, Sakran M, Sehgal A, Taheri S, Vomiero G, Wahi G, Zemek R. Collaborators: Buchanan F, Dorais M, Green M, Hall M, Kanani R, Piedbouf B, Proulx MC, Strumpf E. $100,000 CAD
- 2022: Nominated Principal Investigator. Facilitating randomized controlled trials in paediatric hospital medicine. SickKids RI Child Health Evaluative Sciences Program and Price Waterhouse Cooper partnership. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Mahant S. $10,000 CAD.
- 2022–2027: Co-Investigator. Empowering Next-generation Researchers In perinatal and Child Health (ENRICH). Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Training Grant - Health Research Training Platform (HRTP) Pilot, Human Development, Child and Youth Health pool. Co-PI’s: Samuel S, Andrade B, Archibald M, Benchimol E, Birken C, Chafe R, Chaillet N, Jans J, Keijzer R, King A, King M, Mandhane P, Poonai N, Regnault T, Salami B, Stinson J, Tersigni C, Thomson R, Walsh C, Wiart Prichard L, Zwicker J. Co-Investigators: Ali S, Anthony S, Beal D, Beaudoin AJ, Beggs M, Bell R, Benseler S, Berman J, Birnie K, Boerner K, Bourque S, Bright K, Brockway M, Brooks B, Campbell C, Cassidy C, Cenat JM, Cohen E, Cote S, Couture M, Davidge S, Decaluwe H, Denburg A, Dennis CL, Dimitropoulos G, Doan Q, Doria A, Fitzpatric E, Flynn R, Fontela P, Froehlich Chow A, Galea L, Galloway T, Gill P, Guttmann A, Hampson C, Hatchette J, Hilario C, Hodgetts S, Jibb L, Jean-Pierre JJ, Joyal JS, Kelly L, Keys E, Klassen T, Kozyrskyj A, Lacaze-Masmonteil T, Lavoie P, Lemaire M, Lepage JF, Letourneau N, MacDonald S, MacLeod A, Maeda N, Maguire J, Mahant S, Mailhot G, Marc I, McGavock J, Mitchell C, Mookherjee N, Morris M, Moussa A, Muckle G, Mullings DV, Nelson K, Nepomnaschy P, Noel M, Nuyt AM, Oberlander T, Cardy JO, Parker M, Pavlova M, Pei J, Pelaez S, Phoenix M, Rojas D, Ryan J, Samji H, Saunders N, Scott S, Stremler R, Taboori U, Thiessen k, Madsen LT, Toulany A, Tremblay Y, Tsang V, Tsimicalis A, Twilt M, Velez M, Ward L, Widger K, Wine E, Wintermark P, Wittmeier K, Wollny K, Young N, Zwicker J. Collaborators: Adamko D, Alexander T, Ani-Amponsa M, Arnold P, Asghar A, Barbarzuk S, Beal M, Belanger R, Bogossian A, Bont L, Cidro J, Cockell K, Connelly R, Crocker A, Crowshoe L, Dallaire F, Deal C, Deckard ND, Delormier TW, Dorion D, Eddy A, Eskander M, Fairman K, Ferenbok J, Filipovic A, Gavin F, Ghali W, Goldstein B, Goodman B, Grahovac D, Gupta I, Hall J, Henderson R, Henry R, Irwin M, Jomaa D, Jones N, Jordan J, Leblanc A, MacFarlane A, Marlin S, Martin D, Matthews S, Metcalfe A, Michaud J, Miller A, Moore-Hepburn C, Morrison K, Nitsch D, Permar S, Piedboeuf B, Pires L, Pittmann Q, Renzaho A, Reynolds J, Robeson P, Robinson J, Robinson W, Schroth R, Shoveller J, Sibblis C, Snider L, Steele M, Stewart JP, Thorstad K, Waddell C, Wasserman W, Wasylak T, Weiler H, Wellington C, Williams M, Winkler J, Zemek R. $2,400,000 CAD
- 2022: Nominated Principal Investigator. Taking action on the top 10 patient-oriented priorities in pediatric hospital care in Canada. The Ontario SPOR SUPPORT Unit (OSSU), EMPOWER Award (Engaging Multi-stakeholders for Patient Oriented research Wider Effects & Reach). Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Mahant S. Co-Investigators: Filipovic S, Buchanan F, Green M, DeCastris-Garcia K, Quinlan M, Breen-Reed K, Wong N, Bayliss A, Wahi G, Buba M, Murray S, Wong S, Jetty R, Li P, Nurse K. $25,000 CAD.
- 2022: Co-Investigator. Improving Hospital Care for Children and Families with Limited English: A Qualitative Study. The Edwin H. Leong Centre for Healthy Children, Studentship Award. Resident PI: Do V. Supervisor PI: Mahant S. Co-Investigators: Coffey M, Gill P, Bismilla Z, Langrish K, Sappleton K, Buchanan F, Nicholas D. $15,000 CAD
- 2021–2023: Nominated Principal Investigator. A data-driven approach to identify high priority research topics for pediatric hospital care in Ontario. Physician Services Incorporated (PSI) Foundation New Investigator Award. Co-Principal Investigators: Gill P, Mahant S, To T, Co-Applicants: Bayliss A, Chen W, Cohen E, Cohn R, Kanani R, Langrish K, Macarthur C, Moretti M, Parkin P, Pound C, Sakran M, Sehgal A, Taheri S, Wahi G, Buchanan F, Green M, Hall M, Murray S, Quinlan M. $75,000 CAD
- 2020–2026: Principal Investigator. Ontario SPOR SUPPORT Unit – Phase II. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, SPOR SUPPORT Unit Phase II. Nominated Principal Applicant: Fergusson DA. Co-Principal Investigators: Abelson J, Ganann R, Gauthier A, Gill P, Jones C, Langford L, Lavis J, Persaud N, Rochon P, Schull M, Smith M, Srinivasan V, Stewart M, Taylor K, Terry AL, Urajnik D. Knowledge User: Hayes A. $34,199,145 CAD.
- 2019–2022: Collaborator. Methods and Applications Group for Indirect Comparisons Collaborating Centre. Canadian Institutes of Health Research/Drug Safety and Effectiveness Network (DSEN Team Grants: MAGIC and CAN-AIM). Principal Investigator: Tricco A, Hutton B, Moher D, Straus SE, Wells G. Collaborators: Abou-Setta A, Hazlewood G, Hemmelgarn B, Hossain A, Kelly S, Presseau J, Reeves B, Stevens A, Thavorn K, Watt J; Co-Knowledge Users: Jordan Z, Langlois E, Proctor A, Tunis M, with Collaborators: Bouck Z, Catala-Lopez F, Clement F, Coyle D, Dolovich L, Elliott J, Garritty C, Gill P, Isaranuwatchai W, Kanji S, Kastner M, Klarenbach S, Loeb M, Loke Y, Manns B, McDonald E, Pham B, Rice D, Shea B, Sketris I, Stacey D, Tugwell P, Veroniki AA. $4,199,027 CAD.