Scientist, Cell Biology Program
Neil Goldenberg completed his MD/PhD training at the University of Toronto, in the Institute of Medical Science, where he studied vesicle transport pathways. Goldenberg completed his anesthesia residency in the Clinician-Scientist Program at The University of Toronto, carrying out a post-doctoral fellowship studying diseases of the lung vasculature under Dr. Wolfgang Kuebler at St. Michael’s Hospital.
Following residency, he completed a fellowship in Paediatric Anesthesia at The Hospital for Sick Children. Goldenberg is now a Staff Anesthetist at SickKids, and a Scientist-Track Investigator in Cell Biology, providing clinical care and performing research on pulmonary vascular inflammation.
The Goldenberg laboratory studies immune dysfunction in the lung vasculature, focusing primarily on pulmonary arterial hypertension. The lab uses cell culture, animal models, and patient-derived samples to study the importance of the immune system in the development of this disease, with an eye toward designing new treatments for this devastating condition. To this end, they focus our studies on cell death, inflammation, and the role of endothelial cells and vascular smooth muscle cells in the development of pulmonary hypertension.
- 2016–2018: Paediatric Anesthesia Fellow, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
- 2011–2017: Resident, Anesthesiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada.
- 2013–2015: Postdoctoral Fellow, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Canada (Dr. Wolfgang Kuebler).
- 2002–2011: MD/PhD Student, University of Toronto, Institute of Medical Science.
- 2018–present: Staff Anesthesiologist, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
Research Institute Appointments
- 2022–present: Scientist, Cell Biology Program
- 2018–present: Scientist-Track Investigator, Cell Biology Program
- 2018–present: Assistant Professor, Departments of Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, Physiology
- Foley A, Steinberg BE, Goldenberg NM. Inflammasome Activation in Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension. Front Med (Lausanne). 2022 Jan 13.
- Nat Commun. 2020 Sep 11.
- Goldenberg NM, Rabinovitch M, Steinberg BE. The inflammatory basis of pulmonary arterial hypertension: Clinical implications. Anesthesiology. 2019 May 14.
- Goldenberg NM, Hu Y, Hu X, Volchuk A, Zhao YD, Kucherenko MM, Knosalla C, de Perrot M, Tracey KJ, Al-Abed Y, Steinberg BE, Kuebler WM. Therapeutic targeting of high mobility group box-1 in pulmonary arterial hypertension. Am J Resp Crit Care Med. 2019 April 2.
- Goldenberg NM, Wang L, Ranke H, Tabuchi A, Liedtke W, Kuebler WM. TRPV4 is required for hypoxic pulmonary vasoconstriction. Anesthesiology 122(6):1338-48 (2015).
See all of Neil Goldenberg's list of publications on PubMed.
- 2022: CIHR Project Grant, "Targeting Danger Signals in Systemic Sclerosis-Associated Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension"
- 2019: CIHR/AZ Canada/Canadian Lung Association Emerging Clinician Scientist Award
- 2019: Perioperative Services Facilitator Grant, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
- 2017: International Anesthesia Research Society Mentored Research Award