Dr. Jackie Chiang attended medical school at the University of Ottawa and completed her paediatric residency and respiratory medicine fellowship at the University of Toronto. She initially joined the Division of Respiratory Medicine in 2017 and held a cross appointment between SickKids and Holland Bloorview prior to transitioning to SickKids full time in 2021. Dr. Chiang is a staff physician in the Long-Term Ventilation and Sleep Medicine programs. She was appointed Associate Program Director for the division’s training program in 2020.
The overall aim of Dr. Chiang’s research is to develop and evaluate best respiratory practices and treatment models for children who are at-risk or require long term ventilation.
Education and Experience
- 2004–2008: Doctorate of Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
- 2008–2011: Paediatric Residency, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2011–2014: Paediatric Respiratory Medicine Fellowship, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2019–2020: Sleep Medicine training, Division of Respiratory Medicine, SickKids, Toronto, ON
- Chiang J, Karim A, Hoffman A, Dryden-Palmer K, Keilty K, Syed F, Janevski J, Dutta T, Fellin M, Lindsay S, Beaune L, Amin R. Tough transitions: Family caregiver experiences with a pediatric long-term ventilation discharge pathway. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2021 Jul 28; doi: 10.1002/ppul.25588. Online ahead of print.
- Sunkonkit K, Al-Saleh S, Chiang J, Hamilton A, Medin D, Syed F, Mocanu C, Qazi A, Ambreen M, Amin R. Volume-assured pressure support mode for noninvasive ventilation: can it improve overnight adherence in children with neuromuscular disease? Sleep and Breathing. 2021 Jan 19;1-8. doi: 10.1007/s11325-021-02288-1.
- Chiang J, Amin R. Family Caregivers Facing the Decision of Long-term Ventilation for their Child: Mind the Gap. Editorial. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2020 Jan;17(1):32-33. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201910-747ED.
- Verma R, Chiang J, Qian H, & Amin R. Maximal static respiratory and sniff pressures in healthy children. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Annals of the American Thoracic Society. 2019;16(4):478-487. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201808-506OC.
- Amin R, MacLusky I, Zielinski D, Adderley R, Carnevale F, Chiang J, Cote A, Daniels C, Harrison C, Daigneault P, Katz S, Keilty K, Majaesic C, Moraes T, Price A, Radhakrishnan D, Rapoport A, Spier S, Thavagnanam S, Witmans M. Paediatric Home Mechanical Ventilation: Canadian Thoracic Society Clinical Practice Guideline. Canadian Journal of Respiratory, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. 2017;1(1):7-36.
- 2020–2021: Principal Investigator. Implementation of a New Model of Respiratory Care for Infants with SMA type 1 Identified on Newborn Screening and Treated with Nusinersen. Co-Investigators: Amin R, Gonorazky H, Dowling J, McAdam L, Xiao L, Amrani F, Qashqari H, Syed F, Kuyntjes S, Janevski J, Boyd J, Law E. Funding Source: Department of Paediatrics Creative Professional Activity Grant. $9,905 CAD
- 2019–2024: Co-Investigator. A Virtual Transition Intervention for Children and Adults Transitioning to Home Ventilation in Ontario: A Pragmatic Randomized Controlled Trial. Canadian Institute of Health Research Transitions in Care: Team Grant. Co-Investigators: Gershon A, Rose L, Buchanan F, Pizzuti R, Paquet M, McKim D, Bhatia S, Cornejo Palma D, Dainty K, Fraser I, Goldstein R, Katz S, Leasa D, Lim A, McKay S, Moretti M, Pinto R, Nonoyama M, Sidhu A, Tandon A, Toonders B, Workentin K, Cheng A, Saindon J. Funding Sources: CIHR: $884,252 CAD; ProResp: $50,000 CAD; Medigas a Division of Praxair: $53,000 CAD; VHA Home Healthcare: $40,000 CAD; Boehringer-Ingelheim: $64,000 CAD; MD Canada: $64,000 CAD
- 2018–2020: Co-Principal Investigator. Long-term Ventilation (LTV) Discharge Pathway: Evaluating the Perceptions of Family Caregivers on Skill Acquisition and Competency. Co-investigators: Amin R, Karim A, Hoffman A, Dryden-Palmer K, Keilty K, Syed F, Janevski J, Dutta T, Fellin M, Lindsay S, Beaune L. Funding Source: Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Centre for Leadership Grant. $19,942.92 CAD