Shaindy Alexander has worked at SickKids for 20 years practicing as a Certified Child Life Specialist in a variety of areas. In 2018, she joined the Paediatric Advanced Care Team (PACT) and is now providing community psychosocial support for children and teenagers followed by this team. She is passionate about supporting families dealing with serious illness, death and dying and is a strong advocate for helping parents and professionals include and support youth in their illness and grief journey.
Shaindy has published research exploring the views of chronically ill pediatric patients on medical errors ("Everyone Makes Mistakes". Children’s Views on Medical Errors and Disclosures, 2019) and the unique considerations in providing care to patients requiring mechanical ventilation (Special Considerations in the Nursing Care of Mechanically Ventilated Children, 2016). Currently Shaindy is exploring the use of Virtual Reality Social Support for adolescents living with serious illness.
Education and experience
- 2019–2021: Master of Science in Child Life and Pediatric Psychosocial Care, McMaster University
- 2001–2002: Child Life Studies, McMaster University
- 1997–2001: Bachelor of Arts, Honours Psychology, McMaster University
- 2021: President's Award Recipient, SickKids
- 2006: Robert Salter Humanitarian Award, SickKids