Hosanna Au graduated from medical school and paediatrics residency from the University of Toronto (U of T). Her main clinical practice is as a paediatric hospitalist at The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids). She is a clinician educator with a focus on undergraduate medical education and advocacy/social paediatrics.
Her scholarly interests intersect with her work in medical education. She is a course director in the MD program at the U of T, Associate Director of Undergraduate Paediatrics, and is engaged in curriculum design and implementation, assessment, and teaching for large and small groups in both classroom and clinical settings.
Education and Experience
- 2015: Postgraduate Diploma in Medical Education, University of Dundee Scotland, UK
- 2005: Paediatrics Certification, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- 2005: Paediatrics Residency Training, SickKids, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2001: MD, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 1997: Hon. B.Sc., University of Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2019: MD Program Teaching Award of Excellence, MD Program, University of Toronto
- 2018: MD Program Teaching Award of Excellence, MD Program, University of Toronto
- 2016: Dr. R.H.A Haslam Preclerkship Teaching Award for Excellence in Preclerkship Teaching, Department of Paediatrics, University of Toronto.
- 2016: Group Winner of the Wilf Wilkinson Peace Award, Rotary Club International. Awarded to the Canadian Centre for Refugee and Immigrant Health Care (CCRIHC) and all its volunteers (including the Paediatric Resident Paediatric Outreach Program (POP) Clinic)
- 2015: Excellence in Teaching - Departmental Award presented to the Department of Paediatrics, Markham Stouffville Hospital by the University of Toronto Markham Stouffville Site Family Medicine Teaching Unit.
- 2016: ITHELLPS: Evaluating an Educational Intervention to Train Paediatric Residents on Taking a Social History. Gupta J*, Cohen-Silver J*, Humphreys J*, Ostreicher M*, Talarico S, Au H. SRA Social Paediatrics Research Summer Studentship (SPRESS) Grant
- 2013–2014: RaTs on the Wards! A Qualitative Study of a Resident as Teacher Elective Experience. Talarico S*, Au H, Bernstein S. CoSRA Paediatric Consultants, Education Grant, SickKids
- 2010–2011: Evaluation of the Social Paediatric Elective for Medical Students using Reflection Papers. VanDen Heuvel M*, Au H, Bernstein S, Levin L, Ford-Jones L, Martimianakis T CA Paediatric Consultants, Education Grant, SickKids
- Weidman DR, Scott O, Jewitt N, Jamal A, Harel-Sterling M, Au H, Punnett A: PedLER: Pediatric Longitudinal Experience with Residents. Canadian Medical Education Journal March 2019.10(1):e134-136.
- Porepa M, Chan M, Huber J, Lam CG, Au H, Birken CS: Creating a student-led health magazine with an urban, multicultural, resource-restricted elementary school: Approach, process and impact. Paediatrics and Child Health 2016; 21(3): pp 119-122.
- Van den Heuvel M, Au H, Levin L, Bernstein S, Ford Jones E, Martimianakis MA: "Evaluation of a social paediatrics elective - Transforming student's perspective through reflection". Clinical Paediatrics June 2014; 53(6) pp 545-551.
- Luca PD, Chan M, Basak S, Segal A, Porepa M, Pinard M, Au H, Birken CS: A Qualitative Description of the Development and Evaluation of "Our Voice", a Health Promotion Magazine Created by Paediatric Patients for Hospitalized Paediatric patients. Hospital Paediatrics Jan 2013: 3: pp 59.
- Ravichandiran N, , Schuh S, Bejuk M, Al-Harthy N, Shouldice M, Au H, Boutis K: Delayed Identification of Paediatric Abuse-Related Fractures. Pediatrics 2010: 125: pp 60-66.