Oxalic acid, plasma
1 mL acidified plasma collected in a Green Top Lithium Heparin tube only. See special requirements for processing instructions.
- Store at -20°C and transport frozen on dry ice.
- Patient should be fasting for a minimum of 12 hours and should avoid taking Vitamin C supplements for 24 hours prior to the draw.
- Collect specimen and place immediately on wet ice.
- Complete the following steps within 30 minutes from time of collection.
- Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 2,000 rpm in a refrigerated centrifuge (4°C).
- Remove the plasma to a clean plastic vial.
- Add 20 µL of concentrated HCl for every 1 mL of plasma. Cap and vortex-mix the tube. Final pH on plasma should fall between 1 to 3.5 and should be written on the tube.
- Freeze immediately and store @ -20°C
This test is useful for the monitoring of kidney function for patients with hyperoxaluria, a condition that may result in kidney stone formation, nephrocalcinosis, progressive kidney damage and systemic calcium oxalate deposition.
- Primary hyperoxaluria type I (PH I)
- primary hyperoxaluria type II (PH II) and primary hyperoxaluria type III (PH III)
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212