Respiratory Viruses Multiplex PCR
Alternate test name
Enterovirus, Rhinovirus , Coronavirus OC43, HKU1, 229E, NL63, Bocavirus, Influenza A ( H1, 2009 H1N1, H3 ), Influenza B, Parainfluenza virus 1,2,3,4, Adenovirus, Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV) A & B, Human metapneumovirus.
Gene name / Alternate gene name
Microbiology - Molecular
Method and equipment
Multiplex Polymerase Chain Reaction
Expected turn-around time
Within 2 business days except outside respiratory season.
- Nasopharyngeal swab
- Lower respiratory specimens - BAL, bronchial and lung aspirate, lung biopsy
- Nasopharyngeal swab in universal transport medium
- Sterile screw top container for lower respiratory specimens
Storage and transportation
- All specimens must be shipped on dry ice
- Exception: Specimens that will arrive at SickKids within 24 hours from the time of collection can be shipped on ice packs
Outside of respiratory season (from May to October), testing dictated by demand.
- Upper and lower respiratory infections
Browse tests by laboratory
Toll Free: 1-855-381-3212