Paediatric Sleep Disorders Clinic
About the Clinic
The Paediatric Sleep Disorders Clinic is under the Division of Respiratory Medicine. The clinic is dedicated to providing comprehensive evaluation and treatment for a wide range of sleep disorders such as obstructive sleep apnea, nocturnal hypoventilation in neuromuscular and genetic diseases, children in respiratory failure and narcolepsy.
The majority of our patients will be evaluated in clinic to determine what the specific problems are. A decision to undertake a polysomnogram (sleep study) is made at this time and this will subsequently be performed at a later date in the sleep laboratory at SickKids. Further follow up in clinic will be dependent on sleep study results.
In order to best serve the complex patients who require the specialized services of our clinic and overnight sleep laboratory, our inclusion criteria is limited to:
- All children under two years of age with query sleep disordered breathing; or
- Children who are actively followed at SickKids irrespective of age; or
- Children with medical complexity who are unable to be managed in the community
We do not accept referrals for children with sleep hygiene and/or sleep behavioural concerns.
How to make a referral
Referrals must be completed by a family physician or paediatrician.
- All patients require a referral to visit our clinic.
- If you are a health-care professional, log in to eCHN to submit your referral. From your eCHN account, you will be seamlessly connected to SickKids e-referral platform, EpicCare Link.
- Learn more about our referral process.
- For urgent referrals only (same day referrals), contact eCHN’s Helpdesk directly 416-813-7998 or 1-877-252-9900, or by email at email@example.com.
On weekends and after 6 p.m. on weekdays, please contact the Fellow on call via SickKids Locating at 416-813-1500.
Coming to a clinic appointment
It's important to come prepared and be on time for a clinic appointment. Visit Coming for Clinic Appointments to read appointment guidelines that are applicable for most clinical appointments at SickKids.
You’ll find information on how to prepare and what to bring, what to do if you/your child are sick before your appointment or you need to cancel, and important things to know about the SickKids philosophy.